Thursday, March 6, 2008

Mom Update

Yesterday all day I was frantic trying to get my stuff done to be able to be at the hospital with my mom for her MRI. As I explained yesterday she is afraid to be in the machine. But yesterday God was perfect as usual in His timing. I arrived at the hospital and then 15 min later they said they were coming for the MRI. So I was able to be with her throughout the whole thing. She did panic a little but made it through. I watched the technician do her job and the 3D pictures of my moms organs on the screen and all the time talked myself out of this blob or that blob being anything bad.

I know that people in that position are not supposed to tell you anything about what they see. So I asked a more general question. I asked if gall stones will show up on these test. And she pointed to a very large blob that I had been watching and said I don't know what that is but it's in the gallbladder. So, once again I rested that this is all a gallbladder issue.

I left the hospital but not before I made it very clear that I did not want the doctor to give my mom any news without me being there.

I had more work to do today. So once again I was hurrying along to get stuff done and out of my office. I did stop to have lunch with John. It's amazing how he has become such a grounding point for me over the last year. Then off to the hospital. No sooner did I sit down - the doctor came in. A different doctor... a female but I don't remember her name. She explained very clearly that she was going home but that this did not mean that they are dismissing anything. They are still very worried about her pancreas. Mom is going to have a special test next week (again I don't remember the name - it was a bunch of letters). Basically they will be putting a scope down her throat and into the pancreas so they can look at what is going on.

They are looking to see what is causing the inflammation and the blockage to the pancreas. If it is a stone they will remove it, if it is sludge they will clean it out, and if it is something else - they will biopsy it.

The doctor also went over the meds my mom is taking and added a few others. She also told her that she will be authorizing an appt for a urologist to see why she is having so many UTIs.

She then left the room and I had forgotten to ask if she will be having her gallbladder removed so I hunted the doctor down. I found her reading the MRI report and she said that yes, she does have gallstones and the gallbladder will need to be removed at some time - but it is not on the top of her priority list. I had the doctor alone ... and asked her if there was anything to tell me away from my mom. She said that they still don't know exactly what it is. They are hoping that it is just a gallstone and they can clear it out and all is well - but...

I hate that word.

But, if it is cancer ... it's a very ugly kind.

OK... now I'm a little freaking out.

This weekend is our Annual Women's Retreat. All week I have been contemplating on whether or not I was going. Right now my mom is at home, there is nothing going on with her. Her pain is under control and all she is doing is resting and waiting for the date/time of the test. Well, I say that is all she is doing is resting. I'm sure that there is way more going on in her head.

But something tells me that this is has been timed out so that I can go to the retreat...and prepare to get into battle mode....

No comments: