Saturday, October 18, 2008

I Chased the Lion!!!

Seized the day.... lived for the moment... Well - that's how Nicky described it anyway.

We went to the park yesterday after Academy Day... the kids were playing, mom's were talking... then most of the mom's left and I was alone with John and Jake - who both had brought their skateboard. Yes - John has his very own skateboard... so I was encouraging him to go off and make the loop around the park with his son. His reply - no, there are still a few mom's over there and they will look at me. Whatever... come on Jake - let's go!

So, we went to the top of the hill... then I walked down the hill and got on the skateboard (didn't say I was crazy)... and got on - not really realizing that the hill was not completely over... picking up speed rather quickly (hoping I didn't run over Jake), I made it all the around the back side of the park, around the curve and then up the right side (where all the mom's who were left began to cheer for me!)... A few pushes later, I made it back to the beginning! It was a bit scary but I did it!! The rest of the moms left so John then made a lap with Jake.

We sat for a while talking about their skateboards and I made the comment that we all 3 stand on the board differently. John said that yes, he had noticed that and that my stance was all wrong. He urged me to stand on his board again to feel the difference of my stance and his... but when I got on - I didn't know that I was again on slight of an incline... and not prepared to ride! I had things in my hands and off balance... I rode (again picking up speed) wondering how am I going to stop? John yelled to me - ride off into the grass! So, I did - only to have the board abruptly stop sending me flying face first into the mud. I got up dusted myself off knowing that I was bumped and bruised but for the most part ok.

OK, OK ... so maybe skateboarding isn't what the author was talking about... and maybe, just maybe I am a bit too old for this hobby... but I am still a bit proud of myself none the less.

3 comments:

Heather Rose-Chase said...

Are you reading In a Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day by Mark Batterson? I know him! We're Facebook friends! I met him earlier this year at a conference and was so inspired. I'm not loving his newest book Wild Goose Chase as much, perhaps because to me the new book is practically a point by point telling of how we already live our life. But the Lion book was ab fab!

P.S. I was a skater chick from 5th grade through jr. high. My boys are impressed, but I'm too old these days (fear of getting hurt no longer worth the risk!). GOOD for YOU though!

Nicky Stade said...

Bravo!!

staceelianna said...

that is amazing cassi!! skateboarding is hard! and i think it is TOTALLY chasing a lion! :D